Questions about the MELT Program.

Effective July 1, 2017, the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) implemented this process: Mandatory Entry-Level Training for commercial Class AZ truck drivers.

All new drivers attempting the Class A road test on or after July 1, 2017 would have had to successfully complete the mandatory entry-level training course before attempting their Class A Road Test.

More info here: MTO MELT INFO

MELT programs are starting Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 am - 1:00 pm.

Location: #204 -373 Steeles Ave West Brampton ON L6Y 0P8

Or you can simply call us at 905-497-7006


Refresher Training Course or Advanced Standing Training will be provided to students with previous experience in some form of theory or practical training from a different province or country with basic theory or practical knowledge on how to safely operate a 53 feet Tractor-Trailer.

Criteria for going through the Advanced Program:

Must have proof of your driving experience whether it is from within Canada or from a different country.

1 Hour Assessment will be done

Must have a job letter

Licensed AZ Drivers are allowed to drive any tractor-trailer combination. They may also drive in class D and G

Refresher Training Covers the following topics:

  • Pre-Trip Inspection
  • Turns, Backing, Shifting, Coupling & Uncoupling
  • Airbrakes Practical and Safety Inspections
  • Defensive Driving
  • Route Planning
  • Highway Training

Training for D Class available. Call or email for details.

    AZ Tractor-Trailer MELT
    (M.E.L.T- Mandatory Entry Level Training)

    • Total program hours – 103 hrs
      • In-Class hours – 36 hrs.
      • In-Yard hours – 10 hrs.
      • In-Cab hours – 57 hrs.
    • Admission Requirements
      • OSSD/equivalent or Mature student with passing score on proficiency test
      • Class G license
      • MTO Medical Form
      • Test for rules of the road and signs

    Air Brake (Z) Endorsement

    • Total program hours – 16 hrs.
      • Full G Ontario Licence
      • 2 Day Course
    • Admission Requirements
      • MTO approved OSL Air Brake

Restricted Class A licence

What you can drive

The restricted Class A (condition R) licence is meant for drivers operating smaller truck-trailer combinations, such as a recreational, horse or utility trailer.

You can also drive:

  • a car or light truck covered by a Class G licence
  • heavy trucks covered by the Class D truck licence

What you can't drive

With a restricted Class A licence, you can't:

  • pull a trailer equipped with air brakes
  • drive a full-size tractor-trailer
  • drive a vehicle pulling a double trailer
  • train another driver on a vehicle that requires full Class A privileges to drive


To obtain a restricted Class A licence (condition R), you must to:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a valid Ontario licence other than G1, G2, M, M1 or M2
  • pass a vision test
  • submit a valid medical report
  • pass a knowledge test about operating large trucks and tractor-trailers
  • pass a road test using a vehicle that meets the requirements for Class A (R)

To remove the "R" condition and upgrade your licence to a full Class A, you must successfully complete a road test using a vehicle with a full Class A vehicle configuration. This includes:

  • A trailer with a Manufacturer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (MGVWR) of at least 4,600 kg.
  • A full air brake system on both the truck/ tractor and trailer.

Class D license

Class D driver's license is all about larger and heavier tow vehicles and trailers. According to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the class D driver's license can let the drivers operate any motor vehicle or truck that has a combined weight exceeding 11000 kgs and the towed vehicle is not over 4600 kgs.

Special Pricing Now On!

Call: 905-497-7006